Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Here's what's new here in Paris...


This week has certainly been off to a busy start! I can’t believe it is already Wednesday evening! I have taken five fantastic technique classes at the Studio Harmonic – two contemporary classes with Nathalie Pubellier and three ballet classes with Wayne Byars. I’m pretty sure Wayne is my favorite teacher I have had here in Paris, so it was nice to get to take his class for three consecutive days. As much as I love having variety in my training and trying different things, I enjoyed having the consistency of these classes because it allowed me to apply corrections from previous classes and develop a stronger understanding of his ideas. It is truly amazing to watch him demonstrate…he claims that he’s old and can’t move any more, but he just flies effortlessly across the floor and has unbelievable balance! Some of the corrections and analogies he gave really made sense to me, so I hope I can keep trying to incorporate them into my classes. It has been wonderful to have some different voices giving us feedback throughout these four weeks – I feel like I will be coming home with a lot of new and valuable information!
After our technique classes, we’ve had some busy evenings as well, particularly Tuesday! We went straight from class to Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise, where we divided into small groups and saw the graves of some really interesting people. We were all responsible for researching some information about a few of the people buried there, so I actually learned a lot as we walked around. Plus, we found the memorials for Isadora Duncan and Alwin Nikolais – two very significant figures in the dance world. I was particularly excited about Nikolais – I love his technique, ideas, and philosophies about dance!
After the cemetery, we went straight to a special French dinner hosted for a few of the American groups staying at the FIAP. We had the opportunity to meet some students from other universities and were served a three course dinner that took about two and a half hours! Overall, it was definitely a fun experience…I could have done without a few of the games though.
Later, Paige and I finally did the one thing that we have been waiting for since we got here almost four weeks ago…we went to the top of the Eifel Tower! We climbed the stairs to the second level (which drastically decreased our wait time), and then took the elevator all the way up to the top! It was such a beautiful view, especially at night when the city is all lit up! It was a lot of fun for us to look out, see some of the big landmarks, and know that we have actually been there! It was definitely a wonderful way to spend the evening! Our way home was interesting too…we caught the very last metro back to the FIAP. As we were walking out of the station, they were closing the doors and locking up for the night. If we had stayed at the tower for another two minutes, who knows how we would have gotten home!
This afternoon was lovely as well! After my last ballet class with Wayne, Gianna and I took the metro down to Madeleine Square and explored some of the amazing shops in the area. We wandered down to the Opera area too and I finally tried my first macaron at the famous “Pierre Herme”. I must say, it was absolutely delicious! At around 5:30, we met up with the rest of the group at the Musee Rodin. The museum showcases the work of Auguste Rodin in an eighteenth century mansion and it’s beautiful gardens. Some of the most famous works there are his “The Thinker” and “The Gate of Hell,” which were both fantastic to see!
So after a long and busy day, I’m finally home for the evening to catch up on some rest before tomorrow. We have a ballet/repertory class in the morning, a walking tour in the afternoon, and then a few of us will be going to the Netherlands Dance Theater “Move to Move” live cinema screening in the evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment