Thursday, May 10, 2012


The past two days have been incredible! They have definitely been busy though and I’m sure I will sleep really well tonight! I cannot even begin to describe what it was like to sit in the Palais Garnier last night and watch the Paris Opera Ballet perform! I was awestruck by the theater itself and I thoroughly enjoyed the ballet. Going into the performance, I did not know much about “Manon,” so it was definitely exciting to see something new! Kenneth MacMillan’s contemporary partnering choreography was fantastic. It definitely got me excited for this morning’s ballet class. The class was wonderful; I didn’t feel like I danced very well, which was a little disappointing, but I did gain a lot of valuable information from it. It was a challenge for me because some of the teacher’s stylistic preferences were different from what I’ve been practicing at school over the past few years, but I’m grateful for the opportunity to work on my versatility. We got a lot of beneficial corrections and I really appreciated that she took the time to give us some individual feedback and hands-on corrections. After class, we got back on the metro and made our way down to Versailles. This is going to be so hard to describe… when we arrived, I was absolutely speechless! I had very high expectations walking in, but I was still completely blown away! There was the physical appeal of the gorgeous architecture and artwork, as well as the excitement of standing on ground that is so rich in culture and history! I tried to resist the gift shop, but I was so fascinated with all of the history and artwork that I had to buy one of the books. It will make some great reading for the rest of the trip! After exploring the Chateau, we moved into the gardens. I was so glad that we did not have to try to stay together as a group. Instead we were all free to move at our own pace and explore whatever we wanted. I just took my time wandering through and admiring the fantastic designs of both the plants and sculptures. We were very lucky – it was a beautiful day and I wish I could have spent even more time just sitting there and soaking it all in! But now we are all back at the FIAP and feeling pretty exhausted from our first week! I’ll probably head in pretty early tonight so I can get ready for our backstage tour of the Palais Garnier in the morning! Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment